Plan of Action for 2004-2009
Major Achievements of the immediate past tenure
1. Wage increases in 2006 by 29% and in 2008 by 40 % as an across the board increase compared to previous wage rates in collaboration with other partner trade unions
2. Successful partnership with political parties and especially with CPN-UML which resulted into election of 4trade union leaders from GEFONT in the Constituent Assembly in 2008 and also the election of 7 GEFONT leaders to the central committee of CPN-UML
3. GEFONT Campaign for Democratic Republic in 2007 with handbook and other campaign materials
4. Successful pressure and lobbying to insert trade union rights, right to social security and right to fair labour practice and provision of national labour commission in the Interim Constitution.
5. Campaign for ratification of ILO conventions 87, 102 and 105; as a result Convention No 105 and 169 have been ratified and the reinstated parliament endorsed resolution of commitment to ratify No. 87
6. Successful pressure & lobbying to ensure One-third representation/participation of women in every sector by declaration of the parliament.
7. Formation of Parliamentary Committee for Labour & Industrial Relations as the outcome of continuous political lobbying
8. Workers mobilization in the movement for full-fledged democracy with a decisive role in April uprising of 2006 against monarchy in order to achieve a democratic republic
9. Establishment of Mass-movement workers emergency fund jointly with other 3 partner unions of the movement to help the medical & surgical treatment of workers injured in the movement
10. Fast expanded and strengthened international relations and GEFONT as the founding member of the ITUC from Vienna Congress 2006 elected in the general council and in ITUC-AP; most of the federations affiliated to various GUFs
11. Establishment of Joint Board of GEFONT and NTUC as the promoters of single unionism in 2004 for the unification of trade union movement and in the progressive course, the formation of Joint Trade Union Coordination Centre through two significant events – Joint trade union Workshop in 2007 and national trade Union Conference in 2008.
12. Radio and television Programme Shram ra Sirjana (Labour & Creation) introduced and popularized
13. Successful policy lobbying and pro-worker intervention resulting into recognition and effective participation in various policy forums of the state
14. GEFONT flag hoisted at the world's highest peak Mount Everest in 2007
15. Effective work for the protection of Nepali Migrant workers abroad mainly in Malaysia in cooperation with MTUC, in Korea in cooperation with KCTU and in Hong Kong in cooperation with HKCTU
16. Movement against anti-workers labour ordinance imposed by the then king in 2005-06 including struggle against extremism of Maoist and other groups in the labour market during the insurgency period